Bailey’s General Store to be demolished, rebuilt on Sanibel Island

Published: January 19, 2023 2:08 PM EST
Updated: January 19, 2023 7:54 PM EST

The managing partner and co-owner of Bailey’s General Store, Lee County’s longest-running business since 1899, was supposed to pick up the construction permits to give the 58-year-old building a planned, major facelift on Sept. 30.

Hurricane Ian beat Richard Johnson to the punch on Sept. 28.

The current Bailey’s building, built in 1965, will be demolished within the next few weeks. The store will be rebuilt from scratch on the same site, the corner of Tarpon Bay Road and Periwinkle Way, over the ensuing 24 months and won’t be ready until at least the middle of 2025.

To read more at Gulfshore Business, click here.