Officials are reminding residents that only a select few will be allowed access to Pine Island.
Pine Island Road reopened on Wednesday to connect the barrier island to the mainland.
On Thursday, officials said there is a lot of traffic backup near Pine Island Road and Burnt Store Road.
Cape Coral police initially said only essential workers were allowed to get to Pine Island, but according to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, residents with proof of residency can get there.
Checkpoints are being manned by law enforcement.
- Residents. Bring a driver’s license, utility bill, lease or other proof of residency.
- First responders and Emergency Management personnel.
- Utility providers, telecommunication companies and garbage/debris haulers.
- Supply vendors – such as water, fuel, groceries – who have an Emergency Operations Center-issued mission number.
- Those who are contractors for individual property owners and those who are with insurance companies, etc, will need to show documentation that states the address with which they are affiliated.