Collier County has allocated more than $7 million of the American Rescue Plan Act to help with housing affordability. This money is going to help residents with rent, mortgage, and utilities.
To qualify for assistance, you’ll need proof of Collier County residency, proof that COVID-19 caused financial strain, and proof that your income is between 81% and 140% area median income AMI. Each applicant can relieve up to $25,000, and that money will be paid directly to your landlord, mortgage company, or utility company.
A chart breaking down AMI is below:
Collier County government will also be offering assistance for those with AMI less than 80%. The Emergency Rental Assistance Program is for those at or below 80% AMI. All of this is in hopes that it will lessen the affordable housing gap.
The county also has an agreement with Legal Aid and HELP. Legal Aid provides legal services to those facing eviction or foreclosure. HELP which provides financial counseling services. Legal Aid can be reached at (239) 775-4555, and HELP can be reached at (239) 434-2397.
To qualify for these legal and financial services:
- one or more people within the household had to either receive unemployment or have reduced household income. There had to be a significant cost incurred or other financial hardship due to COVID-19.
- one or more individuals within the household must demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
- must be Collier County residents, above 18 and a legal U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
Be prepared to show the following documents to verify eligibility:
1. Drivers Licenses / Valid Photo IDs
- All residents ages 18 and older
- Proof of address if drivers’ license doesn’t match lease address
2. Proof of Citizenship/Legal Residency
- For one adult household member
3. Household Income Verification (All household members over 18 years old)
- Household Income Verification (pay stub, tax return, etc.)
- All other sources of Income Support
4. Utility Bills
- Electric (FPL or LCEC)
- Internet (Xfinity, Comcast)
5. Same Name Affidavit
- If documents show multiple spellings/names for an individual
6. Landlord Information
- Current signed lease
- Current rent ledger
- Copy of W-9
7. Mortgage Information
- Current mortgage statement
For more information, call Collier County Community and Human Services at (239) 252-CARE (2273) or (239) 450-2114.