Family of teen killed in hit-and-run says prosecutors won’t charge driver

A Clewiston teenager was killed in a hit-and-run earlier this year and found in a ditch by his mother. Now, his family says the State Attorney’s Office won’t be charging the driver.

Miqueas Perez-Ramos was known as “Mikey” to his family and friends. He was 18 and full of life and dreams.

His greatest inspiration was his younger brother, a cancer survivor.

“He was basically my best friend,” said Cristabel Ramos, Mikey’s sister. “If he wasn’t with his friends, he was with me. He wanted to help out little kids also with cancer.”

That possibility was taken away from him on Feb. 13, when he went for his usual walk and never returned. His family went to search for him and his mother found him lying in a ditch.

“I can’t do anything. There’s nothing I can do to take her pain away,” Cristabel said.

The State Attorney’s Office declined to comment to WINK News on why they haven’t charged the driver.

Cristabel hopes the driver will turn herself in.

“Confess what you did, confess you’ve seen him, you hit him and left him there,” she said.

The family’s lawyer, Casey Gartland, said the investigation remains open thanks to new information his law firm discovered.

“The first duty of society is justice and that starts with a thorough investigation, the filing of criminal charges, and a conviction for the woman that killed Miqueas Perez-Ramos,” Gartland said.

The family hopes the State Attorney’s Office will take action.

“Why can’t we have justice for my brother for what they did to him?” Cristabel asked.

Reporter:Val Simpson
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
SHARE