2 teens die from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in East Naples park

Two teens are dead after being found unresponsive inside a car Wednesday evening in a Collier County park. Investigators believe the deaths were accidental, potentially the result of the car’s modified exhaust system.

The Collier County Sheriff’s Office said a park ranger at Sugden Regional Park called deputies for a suspicious car, a 2014 Dodge, that had been parked and running and had its lights on for about an hour. He was unable to see inside due to the dark tint on the windows and didn’t get a response when he knocked on the window. When a deputy responded, he found the two teens unresponsive inside the vehicle and smelled a strong odor of exhaust fumes.

The 18-year-old male driver and his 17-year-old female passenger were pulled from the car. Medics pronounced the male dead at the scene, and CPR was performed on the female before she was taken to NCH Downtown Baker, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.

An examination of the vehicle determined that its exhaust system had been modified, according to investigators.

“Autopsies are pending to determine a cause of death but preliminary observations by deputies at the scene indicate that the deaths may have resulted from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning related to a modified exhaust system on the vehicle,” CCSO said.

This is a developing story.

Writer:WINK News
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
SHARE