A house in St. James City was deemed unlivable Monday after a fire started in a shed and spread to a home.
It happened during the afternoon on Clipper Lane off Stringfellow Road.
Kristensen and his son were home when the flames took over their family home.
“I was sitting outside, and all of the sudden, see black smoke coming out of the shed,” Kristensen said
The two got out safe but watched as the fire destroyed nearly everything inside.
“I got a few boxes I want to get out of there. They got my important papers out, insurance, you know?” Kristensen said. “That’s all the clothes we got. The rest are in the closet.”
The fire came just feet away from Kristensen’s neighbor’s home. They grabbed their hoses to keep the flames away until firefighters showed up.
“I felt like hell,” Kristensen said. I still feel like hell.”
While the shed outside Kristensen’s home has been reduced to rubble, he’s hoping he can somehow save the house he called home for decades.
“I hope I can fix it up, but I don’t know,” Kristensen said.
The home has been in Kristensen’s family for 30 years. He told us he and his son planned to stay in a hotel Monday night.
The fire marshal told us it will likely be a few days before a cause for the fire was determined.