Free tax filing assistance for some Southwest Florida residents
Beginning on Monday, Jan. 25, there will be volunteers to help Southwest Floridians file their taxes.
You can use the free VITA tax filing assistance program. This program provides free federal tax filing services for individuals and families making less than $66,000 per year.
There will be 18 sites available to you in Lee, Hendry, Charlotte and Glades counties. To find the site closest to you and to schedule an appointment you can follow this link, or by calling 211 or 239-433-3900.
If you prefer a contactless tax filing option, you can follow this link.
Appointments are required at all sites unless otherwise noted.
For seniors who typically file taxes with AARP Tax-Aide, these sites will prepare taxes for you for free beginning in February. You can make your appointments with AARP by calling the number listed next to each site:
- AARP Tax-Aide – Cape Coral at Grace Church, call 941-500-3272
- Fort Myers Tax-Aide is offering two sites –St. Columbkille Catholic Church and Pine Ridge Road VFW, Call 239-935-7826
- North Fort Myers Tax-Aide – North Fort Myers Recreation Center, appointments can be made in person at front desk or by calling 239-533-7200.
FSW offers free tax preparation services
The Florida SouthWestern State College School of Business and Technology and the United Way will offer free tax preparation services for households earning $66,000 or less by IRS-certified United Way volunteers on Wednesday, March 10, in Building AA, Room 177, at the FSW Thomas Edison Campus in Fort Myers, 8099 College Pkwy.
Appointments are required. Joint returns require both filers to be present. Participants will need to bring:
- Photo I.D
- Social security or individual taxpayer identification number and birthdates for everyone on return
- Previous year’s federal and state returns
- All earning statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099s)
- Amount of stimulus payments received
- Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C for proof of health insurance; Form 1095-A if health insurance purchased from the marketplace; or health insurance exemption
- Form 1098 for mortgage interest, property taxes, closing statements
- Voided check or routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Student loan statement from your university/college (1098-T) and/or student loan interest statement (1098-E) if applicable
- Written totaled mileage records and totaled business income and expenses if self-employed
- Total paid and provider business’ name, address and SSN/ITIN for childcare or dependent care expenses
- Identity Protection Pin (IPP) if applicable
To book an appointment, visit www.unitedwaylee.org/freetaxprep or call 239.433-3900 ext. 211.