Third round of applications for LeeCARES ends Friday
The third round of online applications for LeeCARES utilities assistance ends Friday.
The program has consisted of three rounds of application periods.
- Round 1: October 19-30, 2020
- Round 2: November 2-27, 2020
- Round 3: November 30-December 11, 2020
LeeCARES programs were extended to assist residents impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including new rounds of utility payment assistance, expanded childcare assistance and more funding for area food banks.
The program extensions approved on Oct. 19 included:
- Three new rounds of utility assistance in October, November and December to pay up to $1,000 in water and electric bills for eligible applicants during each round. Assistance may be provided regardless of whether the applicant has received previous utility assistance. LeeCARES provided water/sewer and electric bill payment assistance through nearly 10,000 applications made between May and September.
- Increased funding for LeeCARES Childcare Assistance to $3.6 million because Lee County School District programs for after-school care have been added to the eligible program list. The assistance program, administered by United Way of Lee County, Inc., already has committed $2 million in childcare scholarships.
- An additional $1.7 million of funding to existing contracts with Harry Chapin, Midwest Food Bank and Community Cooperative. LeeCARES committed over $2.5 million for food security through September.
The LeeCARES programs are funded through the federal Coronavirus Relief Fund through the $150 billion Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES). Lee County received $134,459,744.