LeeCARES begins round three of assistance for utilities Monday
LeeCARES officially begins its second round of assistance for utilities on Monday.
The county starts online applications Nov. 30 and will end them Dec. 11 for round three.
The program will consist of three rounds of application periods.
- Round 1: October 19-30, 2020
- Round 2: November 2-27, 2020
- Round 3: November 30-December 11, 2020
LeeCARES programs were extended to assist residents impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including new rounds of utility payment assistance, expanded childcare assistance and more funding for area food banks.
The program extensions approved on Oct. 19 included:
- Three new rounds of utility assistance in October, November and December to pay up to $1,000 in water and electric bills for eligible applicants during each round. Assistance may be provided regardless of whether the applicant has received previous utility assistance. LeeCARES provided water/sewer and electric bill payment assistance through nearly 10,000 applications made between May and September.
- Increased funding for LeeCARES Childcare Assistance to $3.6 million because Lee County School District programs for after-school care have been added to the eligible program list. The assistance program, administered by United Way of Lee County, Inc., already has committed $2 million in childcare scholarships.
- An additional $1.7 million of funding to existing contracts with Harry Chapin, Midwest Food Bank and Community Cooperative. LeeCARES committed over $2.5 million for food security through September.
The LeeCARES programs are funded through the federal Coronavirus Relief Fund through the $150 billion Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES). Lee County received $134,459,744.