Red Cross launches ‘Holiday for Heroes’ campaign
You can help bring the holiday season to our nation’s heroes.
Every year, the American Red Cross launches its “Holiday for Heroes” campaign in which you can donate items and write messages to go in care packages for troops overseas and veterans in hospitals.
This year, the Red Cross is asking people to buy through their online gift registry and the items will be directly shipped to the Red Cross team.
The deadline is Oct. 30.
A list of the requested items:
- Flavored drink mix for water bottles (individual packets)
- Hot cocoa mix (individual packets)
- Power bars, granola bars, breakfast bars
- Gum, mints, hard candy (no chocolate)
- Individually packaged/travel size snacks (nuts, trail mix, beef jerky, Slim Jim, cookies)
- Non-perishable meat (individual packets of tuna, chicken, salmon; not canned)
- Lip balm
- Small packs of wet wipes
- Individual tissue packets
- Travel size hygiene items (body wash, lotion, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste)
- Small puzzle books, playing cards, yo-yos, hacky sacks
- Cards and letters of appreciation (Please do not write your last name, address, or personal contact info. Please use wording that will encompass the holiday spirit without reference to religion as these will go to a diverse group of service members and veterans.)
The care package items will be placed in a holiday stocking that is personally cut and sewn by local Red Cross volunteers.
For more information on the program, click here.
Last year, “Holiday for Heroes” reached more than 1,000 overseas military members.