CORONAVIRUS

Resources

Woman, 2 dogs dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at North Fort Myers home

A woman and two dogs were found dead Monday morning in a North Fort Myers home. They are believed to be the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Another woman found at the Grady Drive home was taken to the hospital. A third dog was also found alive and is now in the care of Lee County Domestic Animal Services.

The Lee County Sheriff’s Office said the deaths are not considered suspicious in nature and a hazmat team is working to determine the source of the carbon monoxide.

“It was a surprise to me earlier this morning when the street lined up with vehicles, and of course they weren’t allowed to tell me what was going on and it was pretty confusing,” said Ted Thayer, who lives next door.

Authorities were called to the scene when someone came by the home and smelled gas. Deputies entered and found the woman and dogs dead, and another woman in distress.

Thayer said the women were mother and daughter, and the daughter had moved in to take care of her mother.

“It’s a shock to me because just the other day, they locked themselves out of the house and I went over and was able to get them back in, and that would’ve been the last time that I saw the young lady and her mother,” Thayer said.

“I’m saddened big time about the death. The young lady who died was a very pleasant young lady.”

Many neighbors who knew the young woman said she was a sweet soul who would give the shirt off her back to anyone who needed it.

The investigation into the incident remains active. Trust WINK News for updates as information is made available.

Reporter:Brea Hollingsworth
Writer:Jackie Winchester
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
SHARE