Mark Sievers trial: Testimony continues: Day 4

Testimony in the murder trial of Mark Sievers picked up for its fourth day Monday morning. The judge presiding over the case says he plans to hold court through Wednesday and will take a break over the holiday.

On Friday, we saw the trail of evidence that connects Mark Sievers to his wife, Doctor Teresa Sievers’ murder, like the blue jumpsuit.

Sievers is accused of paying Curtis Wayne Wright and Jimmy Rodgers to kill his wife. Both of which have been found guilty.


WARNING: This video may include graphic content that may be disturbing to some viewers.  NOTE: During a court recess, you will see a state of Florida seal.



Testimony began with witness number 12, Sandra Hoskins, who was a medical assistant at Teresa Sievers’ medical practice.

She was quickly questioned by State Attorney Hamid Hunter about the morning following the murder when Teresa didn’t show up to the office. Hoskins said she attempted to contact with Teresa but was unsuccessful. She then texted Mark who told her that he was also unable to contact Teresa. The Defense did not cross-examine Hoskins.

The next witness, Detective Nick Schuenemann, was then called to the stand. Schuenemann is a crime scene detective with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.

He helped the Lee County Sheriff’s Office search Wright’s home in Missouri in July 2015. He also helped search Rodgers’ home as well as Mark’s apartment in Missouri.

Schuenemann showed the jury evidence collected from Rodgers’ home: t-shirts, shoes, a cooler and a backpack. These are the same items shown to the jury on Friday when the LCSO detectives testified. He also held up the blue jumpsuit found by Detective Downs on the side of the road.

After more than an hour of questioning from the State, Defense Attorney Michael Mummert began cross-examining Schuenemann. Mummert asked him if he collected any fibers from any of the vehicles that were searched at the homes in Missouri. Schuenemann said he did not recall.

Next to take the stand was Rodgers’ former manager at Doe Run in Missouri, Jeffery Conway. The company supplies personal protective equipment, including coveralls, latex gloves, rubber gloves, hard hats and respirators.

Conway testified that there are tags inside the blue jumpsuits saying they are acid and flame resistant.

We also heard this supervisor’s testimony during Rodgers’ trial. He said he knew Rodgers would be in Florida the same weekend as the murder, but said he told him he was going to celebrate his brother’s graduation.

The State asked Conway if employees are allowed to take the jumpsuits out of the plant, to which he replied no.

Conway was not questioned by the defense.

Next to take the stand was John Long with LCSO. He was an assistant commander of the forensics division back in 2015.

Long collected surveillance video from businesses along Bonita Beach Road and Imperial Parkway near the Sievers’ home.

He was called to the crime scene, did a walkthrough on June 30 and went back on July 1, but did not collect any evidence there.

When asked about the surveillance videos, Long said he chose that general area to collect the videos because it would be a logical route if a person was traveling for any span of distance to go back to I-75.

The Defense did not cross-examine Long.

Testimony continued following a lunch break around 1:30 p.m. The State said they have 10 witnesses lined up for the rest of the day. We were told the next one could be “lengthy.”

The State called Kim Van Waus to the stand, a crime scene technician with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office. She testified last week for several hours about the evidence she collected from the Sievers’ home as well as the Hyundai Elantra that was recovered from Arizona.

On cross-examination, Mummert asked Van Waus about the inconclusive blood results found in the car. She said the DNA profile from the blood wasn’t good enough to compare to samples they collected from people involved in the case.

There were no further questions from the Defense or the State. The set of questions for Van Waus was much shorter than during Rodgers’ trial.

The State next called Aimee Lusk, a former homicide detective with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office who worked on the case. She collected DNA from Rodgers at the Collier County Jail.

We are moving through witnesses very quickly now. The State called Matthew Sands to the stand. He was a lieutenant with the Major Crimes Unit at LCSO in 2015 and got security video from the Walmart on Six Mile Cypress.

Prosecutors played the surveillance video that shows Wright and Rodgers shopping in the Walmart the weekend Teresa was found dead.

The State then called the Walmart asset protection manager to the stand for a brief moment before moving on to Gladys Martinez with LCSO. She was a crime scene technician in 2015 and documented Teresa’s autopsy.

There was no cross-examination on the last three witnesses from the Defense.

Following these testimonies, the court took a brief recess. The State said it had one more witness ready to testify today.

Following the recess, Lt. David Lebid with LCSO was called to the stand. He supervised Teresa’s murder investigation in 2015. He also went to Missouri to speak with Wright after getting a tip that he may have been involved in the murder. He explained what happened when he went to talk to Rodgers after he was officially charged in the murder.

After about an hour and a half of questioning Lebid, court wrapped up for the day a bit early. Jurors have been told to return on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.


Reporter:Taylor Petras
Writer:Briana Harvath
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.