Making Ends Meet: Pricing out prepared meals for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time for family. And for people like Holli Hayes, it’s a time for giving thanks that someone else is doing the cooking.
“Last year was the first year we ever didn’t cook our food, and I was OK with that because we got to spend more time with family and enjoy being thankful for all of them,” Hayes said.
Almost all grocery stores and some restaurants offer some kind of pre-made holiday meal, and they are priced based on the number of people it feeds, or sides included.
Sherrard Bratton at The Fresh Market says there are a lot of people ordering already.
“Corporately, we sold 27,000,” Bratton said. “And we are expecting to spike this year.”
WINK News compared meals feeding eight to 12 people, and we found prices starting at $49.99.
For $49.99, customers can get the classics, including a dessert at Publix. The meal serves 7 to 10 people, and orders will be taken up to 24 hours in advance. The meal includes:
- One 10 to 12 lb Butterball® fully cooked Turkey
- 2 1/2 lb holiday dressing
- 2 1/2 lb mashed potatoes
- 32 oz. of Publix gravy
- 28 oz. of Publix marshmallow delight
- 16 oz. of Publix cranberry orange relish
The Fresh Market’s traditional meal serves 8 to 10 people and is $79.99. Orders need to be placed by Friday, 11/22. The meal includes:
- 10-12 lb Fully Cooked Turkey
- 3 lb Yukon Gold Whipped Potatoes
- 3 lb Traditional Herb Stuffing
- 30 oz Homestyle Turkey Gravy
- 16 oz Cranberry Relish with Walnuts
- 12 ct Golden Dinner Rolls
Whole Food’s Market Classic Roast Turkey Meal serves 8 at $129.99. Orders will be taken up to 24 hours in advance. Meals include:
- Classic Roast Turkey
- Green Beans with Roasted Shallots (V)
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Traditional Herb Stuffing
- Holiday Turkey Gravy
- Cranberry Orange Sauce (V)
If you want more sides and at least two types of pie for dessert at the same price of $129.99, look to Boston Market. Their meal serves 12. If you would like the meal shipped to your door, orders must be placed by Sunday, 11/24. Meal includes:
- Whole Roasted Turkey (11.5 lb avg)
- (1) 32 oz. Spinach Artichoke Dip & Crackers
- (2) 32 oz. Mashed Potatoes
- (2) 32 oz. Vegetable Stuffing
- (2) 12 oz. Cranberry Walnut Relish
- (2) 32 oz. Gravy
- (12) Dinner Rolls
- (1) 9″ Apple Pie
- (1) 9″ Pumpkin Pie
Boston Market also offers a ready-to-eat, hot meal through its catering department.
Meals require reheating, some up to three hours. Contact your local store directly with questions.