Rumors of flu vaccine shortage are false, CDC says
According to the CDC, rumors that have been going around about a flu vaccine shortage are not true.
After doing a search for the high-dose flu vaccine (for people 65 and older) at HealthMap Vaccine finder, there a numerous stores (mostly chains) in SWFL offering that version of the vaccine.
The company that makes that version of the vaccine issued this statement regarding the shortage concerns:
To date, we have delivered nearly 70% of all orders for Fluzone® High-Dose and have communicated future delivery dates for the remaining orders. The only other “higher dose” vaccine available for use this season is Flublok® Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine, which is currently available for immediate delivery. Any customer needing additional “higher dose” products can call 1-800-VACCINE or log onto www.vaccineshoppe.com to place a Flublok order for immediate delivery.
Despite the manufacturer’s statement, TJ with Cypress Pharmacy says: “The manufacturer is three weeks late shipping the 2nd shipment to the wholesaler.”
So at least at his independent pharmacy, there appears to be a shortage still.
We called a couple of big chain pharmacies to check on their flu vaccine stock. Here’s what we found:
- Publix Pharmacy – 2160 McGregor Blvd; Fort Myers (239) 332-4881 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Seqirus High Dose Flu Vaccine. A Pharmacist said they do run out because it’s first-come, first-serve, however, they receive continuous shipments and are rarely without vaccines for more than two days.
- CVS Pharmacy – 2403 Cleveland Ave; Fort Myers (239) 332-3050 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
Walmart Pharmacy – 4770 Colonial Blvd; Fort Myers (239) 274-2927 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
Fluzone High Dose. No troubles getting shipments, but he has heard about the shortage.
- Walgreens Pharmacy – 3501 Unique Cir; Fort Myers (239) 271-3924 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Fluzone High Dose. No troubles getting shipments that she knows of.
- CVS Pharmacy – 11300 FL-82; Fort Myers (239) 461-0147 – Wouldn’t help us, told us to inquire at 1-800-SHOPCVS.
- Publix Pharmacy at Crossroads Shopping Center – 5781 Lee Blvd; Lehigh Acres (239) 226-9707 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Seqirus and Fluzone High Dose. Were having trouble getting Fluzone for a time, but are currently “all stocked up.”
- Walgreens Pharmacy – 9150 Kings Crossing Rd; Fort Myers (239) 284-1702 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Fluzone High Dose, couldn’t give us additional information due to the pharmacy being busy.
- Walmart Pharmacy – 19975 S Tamiami Trail; Estero (239) 590-9506 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Fluzone High Dose. They had trouble getting the vaccine last week but no problems in the foreseeable future.
- Publix Pharmacy at The Center of Bonita Springs – 3304 Bonita Beach Rd SW; Bonita Springs (239) 495-1700 – Vaccines were IN-STOCK.
- Seqirus, no supply issues. Told us that “it looks like” most Publix pharmacies in the Bonita area have flu vaccines in stock.
- Walmart Pharmacy – 2523 Lee Blvd; Lehigh Acres (239) 368-0282
- Told us to call corporate.