Authorities respond to Lehigh Acres fire, family evacuates home
A family was forced to evacuate from their home due a brush fire in the neighborhood they live.
Lehigh Acres Fire Rescue responded to a brush fire near the 3700 block of SW 2nd St in Lehigh Acres Saturday.
“It was just shocking because this never really happens,” Cyania Telus. “And to see that there was a big fire by my house, it made me emotional a little bit.
The fire burned almost an acre of land and is now 100 percent contained by fire crews.
The fire department said a squirrel that ran along a power line in the neighborhood is likely the cause that started the fire.
“Like a squirrel was running on the power line,” Alexander Lafrance said. “And then I guess like the power line had a scratch on it, and then the squirrel got electrocuted by that. I guess the squirrel got on fire and landed in the middle of the bushes and then just boom.”
There was no property damage to any surrounding houses, and nobody was hurt.