Lee County Solid Waste hosts second annual food drive
Before snowbird residents head back north for the spring, Lee County wants them to bring their unwanted food to people in need.
Lee County Solid Waste’s second annual “Donated Not Wasted ” asks seasonal residents to donate unopened pantry items.
The food drive is from Monday, April 8 through Monday, April 22.
Donations are being accepted by the following locations in Lee County:
- Estero Recreation Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Blvd., Estero, FL 33928
- North Fort Myers Recreation Center, 2000 North Recreation Park Way, North Fort Myers, FL 33903
- Veterans Park Recreation Center, 55 Homestead Road South, Lehigh Acres , FL 33936
- Wa-Ke Hatchee Recreation Center, 16760 Bass Road, Fort Myers, FL 33908
Lee County Library locations
- Bonita Springs Public Library, 26876 Pine Ave. Bonita Springs, FL 34135
- Cape Coral-Lee County Public Library, 921 SW 39th Terrace, Cape Coral, FL 33914
- Captiva Memorial Library, 11560 Chapin Lane, Captiva, FL 33924
- Dunbar Jupiter Hammon Public Library, 3095 Blount St. Fort Myers, FL 33916
- East County Regional Library, 881 Gunnery Road, Lehigh Acres, FL 33971
- Fort Myers Regional Library, 2450 First St., Fort Myers, FL 33901
- Johann Fust Community Library, 1040 W. 10th St., Boca Grande, FL 33922
- Lakes Regional Library, 15290 Bass Road, Fort Myers, FL 33919
- North Fort Myers Public Library, 50 Pine Island Road, North Fort Myers, FL 33903
- Northwest Regional Library, 519 Chiquita Blvd. N. Cape Coral, FL 33993
- Pine Island Public Library, 10701 Russell Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922
- Riverdale Branch Library, 2421 Buckingham Road, Fort Myers, FL 33905
- South County Regional Library, 21100 Three Oaks Parkway, Estero, FL 33928
- Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, 7751 Penzance Blvd., Fort Myers, FL 33966
- Topaz Court Solid Waste Annex, 6441 Topaz Court, Fort Myers, FL 33966
About 70,000 tons, or 13 percent, of the waste stream in Lee County is food, according to a 2016 waste audit. Nationwide, Americans throw out about 30 percent of the available food supply.
For more information, visit www.leegov.com/solidwaste or call 239-533-8000.