6 things to know about the Las Vegas mass shooting
A gunman perched on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas casino unleashed a shower of bullets on an outdoor country music festival below, killing at least 58 people as tens of thousands of concertgoers screamed and ran for their lives, officials said Monday. Here is what we know so far:
- Country music star Jason Aldean was performing Sunday night at the end of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival in front of a crowd of 22,000 when the gunman opened fire.
- At least 58 people have died and more than 515 victims have been taken to local hospitals.
- The gunman opened fire from the 32nd floor of the the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.
- The gunman is identified as Stephen Craig Paddock, 64, of Mesquite, Nevada.
- The gunman, identified as Stephen Paddock, lived in Melbourne, Florida from 2013 to 2015, records show. SWAT officers using explosives stormed the gunman’s hotel room and found he had killed himself.
- The shooting marks the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Before Sunday, the deadliest shooting took place in June 2016, when a gunman opened fire at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, killing 49 people
Associated Press contributed to this report