What is Autism:
- Repetitive behaviors
- Problems with social interactions
- Communication problems
- Learning difficulties
- Short attention spans
- Boys 5 x > girls
What we know about autism:
- Prevalence has increased. (1 in 68)
- Direct screening ? prevalence even higher?
- Autism can reliably be diagnosed by age 2.
- Early intervention improves outcome.
- Behavioral therapy can transform lives.
- 1/3 children & adults with autism are nonverbal.
- Assistive communication devices encourages speech.
- Autism-related GI disorders are real.
- Sleep disturbance is common and treatable.
- 1/3 of people with autism have epilepsy.
- Autism affects the whole body.
- Genetics are individualized – everyone is different.
- Environmental factors play a significant role.
- 1/2 of people with autism wander or bolt.
- 2/3rds of children with autism are bullied.
- 84% of adults with autism live with their parents.
- 1/2 of 25 yr olds have never held a paying job.
- Lifetime average cost of autism = $1.4 – 2.4 million
Autism: early death risk a ‘hidden crisis:’
- Autistic individuals die up to 30 years earlier than controls.
- Premature death risk is 2.5 x higher for people with autism.
- Results: autism = die 18 yrs. earlier
- Suicide was leading cause of death
- autism + intellectual disability = die 30 yrs. earlier.
- Epilepsy is leading cause of death.
- More support is needed.
Study: Autism intervention studies lack diversity:
- Criticism: Diversity is never looked at.
- Treatments vary based on individuals.
- Is autism distinct from racial influence?
- More studies are needed.
- Goal: Best treatment for each person.
Copyright 2022 Fort Myers Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written consent. Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.