2010 Media Study:
- 8-18 yrs: use media 7 hours per day.
- 70% American teens have TV in bedroom.
- 50% American teens have video game console.
- Recommendation: <2 hr of screen time per day.
Risks of ‘electronic addiction:
- Desensitization to aggression
Medical News Today study:
- Games that focus on storytelling can be good.
- Encourages the development of social abilities in autism.
- Even violent video games promote visuospatial cognition.
- Contradictory and inconclusive results.
- Confirmed by Paris Descartes University.
Children reap benefits of video games (present study):
- 20% children played >5 hours per week
- 39% screen time <1 hour per week.
- 40% screen time between 1-5 hours per week.
- 1% >20 hours per week.
- High video game usage = 1.75 x chance of high IQ
- High video game usage = 1.88 x high overall school performance
- Video game play NOT linked with mental health problems
- Fewer relationship problems with friends
- Recommendation: continue close monitoring
Copyright 2022 Fort Myers Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written consent. Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.