Adolescents drink to much caffeine:
- 83.2% of teens regularly consume caffeine.
- 96% of teens occasionally consume caffeine.
- 1% of caffeine comes from energy drinks.
- Coffee is the biggest culprit!
- Hidden caffeine: tea, iced tea, soda.
How much caffeine is safe?
- Adults: 400 mg of caffeine per day is safe for adults.
- Equals: 4 cups of coffee, 10 cans of cola, 2 energy shot drinks
- Heavy Use: 500-600 mg a day
- Moderate Use: 100-400 mg can cause symptoms in children and adolescents.
Side effects of heavy caffeine usage:
- Sleep problems
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Increased heart rate
- Even death
- 44.6% drank caffeinated beverages 1-6 x/week.
- 11.4% consumed caffeine daily.
- 4.8% never consumed caffeine.
- Reason for consuming: stay alert!
- Parent role model was an important factor.
- Media and social norms played a role.
- Awareness of negative health issues with caffeine.
- Maximum of 100 mg a day for adolescents.
- No caffeine for younger children.
- More research is needed.
- Education re: caffeine overconsumption and intoxication.
- Educate on ways to boost energy – healthy diet and adequate sleep.
Copyright 2022 Fort Myers Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written consent. Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.