Woman severely burned in e-cigarette explosion

NAPLES, Fla.- A woman suffered first and second degree burns on her face, neck, and hands when she says her e-cigarette exploded in her face Thursday night.

Cassandra Koziol, 30, says she was in her car outside her home on Hickory Wood Drive using her e-cigarette when it exploded.

“I grabbed up my vape and as soon as I pressed the button, it exploded in my face,” Koziol said.

According to an incident report, Koziol ran from her car and went inside her friend’s house to tell them what happened and when she returned, she realized her vehicle was up in flames.

Koziol was transported to NCH Downtown where she was treated and later released.

“My lip is busted. After I left the hospital, I found a big cut underneath my, on the bottom of my lip, on the inside and my teeth on the front, behind they’re messed up. I’m missing some of my teeth,” Koziol said.

The 30-year-old says she’s been vaping for three years and knows how to use the device.

“I know how to build my own coils, I know how to check the ohms, I know what I’m doing. I’ve been doing it for years,” Koziol said.

But now, Koziol says she’ll never use the device again.

“Be very careful because you’re playing a game of Russian roulette obviously. If you choose to continue vaping,” Koziol said. “I used the vape to help me quit smoking and it was fantastic and now I had my savior blow up my face pretty much.”

Koziol says she does plan to pursue legal action against makers of her e-cigarette.

SHARE