Woman and baby escape car fire
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A mother and her baby were able to safely escape from a car that went up in flames in front of a school.
“It was a scary situation to have as the car is placed in between the high school and the middle school,” said Geoffrey Moser.
A fiery situation breaks out while parents are waiting to pick up their kids outside of the Oasis Charter School complex.
“As the car became more engulfed in flames it actually had kind of what ill call three little mini explosions and pops pretty loudly,” said Moser.
Geoffrey Moser was a few cars in front of the burning car when he noticed smoke in his side view mirror.
“It was completely engulfed at some point the flames were 10 to 15 high,” Moser.
Moser says an off-duty firefighter was in the right place at the right time. Moser helped him with whatever he could until Cape Coral firefighters got on scene.
“We got two fire extinguishers, we exhausted them both. They didn’t really help,” Moser told WINK News.
Moser says the owner of the car and her one year old baby were not hurt.
“I noticed how shaken she was so I was trying to comfort her.”
The Cape Coral Fire Department tells WINK News the fire is ruled accidential. A battery in the truck caught on fire. Moser says the Oasis staff and the off-duty firefighter deserve a lot of the credit for keeping the situation under control until help arrived.