Early morning house electrical fire destroys Fort Myers Beach home

Published: April 23, 2015 12:10 PM EDT
Updated: April 23, 2015 5:10 PM EDT

FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. – A Fort Myers Beach home to go up in flames Thursday morning and burns to the ground. No one was injured but the home is considered a total loss.

Fire investigators say the fire was electrical. The fire started in the garage, when an electric motorcycle was plugged into the wall charging.

At least 2 people were home at the time. They got out safe, along with their pets.

It happened after 2 a.m. on the 100 block of Andre Mar Drive near the Wild Wave Resort. Firefighters tell WINK News a collapsed ceiling caused some difficulty getting to hotspots.

The Fort Myers Beach fire marshal says the home had no sprinkler system and no fire alarm. They are looking for a smoke detector. WINK News learned a van on the property also burned up. The fire burned for at least 50 minutes.

Neighbors say it was quite a scene, that deputies woke them up around two in the morning, knocking on their doors and telling them to leave.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the family, who is now staying with friends. At least four state fire marshals were on scene investigating what started the fire.