LEE COUNTY, Fla.- This July 4th, you're most likely going to take out the grill and if you want something other than the usual burgers and hot dogs, we've got you covered.
The culinary team at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples, put their skills to work making a five star meal sure to impress your family and neighbors.
Chef Niko Anagnostou’s, put together his 4th of July, Citrus Marinated Skirt Steak & Potato Salad sure to have your patio smelling delicious and mouth watering.
For the skirt steak you'll need:
1 1⁄2 - 2 pounds Skirt Steak, trimmed of fat
1⁄2 Gallon Water
1⁄4 Cup Salt
1⁄2 Pound Brown Sugar, light or dark
1⁄4 Cup Fresh Ginger, crushed
1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds, crushed
1 Tablespoon Black Peppercorns
1 each Orange, Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon
5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 Cup Bourbon
• Combine the water and bourbon together in a sauce pan.
• Cook on medium heat until small bubbles occur (right before boiling).
• Take off the heat and add the salt, sugar, ginger, coriander, thyme, peppercorns and let cool.
• While cooling liquid, cut the citrus in half and juice. Get as much juice out as possible and keep the rinds as well.
• Once liquid is cool, add the citrus juice and rinds to the liquid.
• Marinate skirt steak in brine for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the steaks
• Take out of brine and let dry for 1 hour at room temperature before you cook.
• On a pre-heated grill, grill the steaks to your desired temperature. For a nice medium, 4-5 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness).
For the potato salad you'll need:
2 Pounds Red bliss potatoes, skins cleaned well
3 Ears Corn, kernels removed
6 Strips Bacon, diced
1 Medium Vidalia onion, small chopped
1 Bunch Scallions, sliced
1⁄4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard (Grey Poupon)
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup English Peas, Blanched
To Taste Kosher Salt
• Quarter your potato, place into a large pot and cover with cool water
• Add 2 tablespoons of salt to the water and cook on high.
• When water begins to boil, check if the potatoes are done by inserting a skewer into the potato wedge.
• When potatoes are done, drain water and cool at room temperature.
• On med low heat, render the chopped bacon, just until crispy.
• Add the onions and corn, cook 5-7 minutes.
• Pour in the vinegar to deglaze the pan and scrap the bottom of the pan to get the “Lil’ Crusties” flavoring your dressing.
• Remove pan from heat, add the mustard, peas, scallions and stir.
• When dressing cools, add mayo, stir and season with salt and fresh black pepper.
• Combine potatoes with dressing, taste and season more if needed.