FORT MYERS, Fla.- On Sunday you can head to Fort Myers River District where the streets will be closed to traffic from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., but will come alive for you!
Click here to see street closures.
Streets Alive will be the first signature event for Healthy Lee Coalition, the local wellness coalition created to empower and inspire the people of Lee County regarding healthy lifestyle choices through education and action.
The family-friendly Streets Alive will have local restaurants and outlets along the route offering food and beverages, highlighting their most delicious and nutritious menu items. A range of other vendors will also be participating in the festivities. Parking will be free at the downtown garages; other parking lots available subject to road closures. All downtown churches will be accessible and are planning regular services.
Streets Alive features instructors offering a buffet of free and accessible games, sports, dance and other movement for attendees to try. People of all ages and abilities are encouraged to participate, with the focus particularly being on easy-to-learn activities to get people moving.
Participants can visit the Streets Alive activity centers to be part of organized or instructed activity, or they can use the traffic-free streets for their own form of fun and movement. The activity centers are:
1. City Hall Fort Myers: Prayer Labyrinth, Wheelchair & Chair Exercises, Israeli Folk Dancing, Tennis, Yoga
2. Lee County Annex East: Lee Memorial Health Systems Walk with a Doctor, Urban Dance, African Dance, Jump Rope, Red Light/Green Light, Hop Scotch, Step Lively, Youth Dancing
3. First & Lee: Lee County 4-H Trail Blazers Wheel of Fitness, Mohawk Bike Helmet Decorating
4. Edwards & Hendry: Lee County Domestic Animal Services Pooch Walk, Training, Animal Exercise
5. Centennial Park East: YMCA Basketball, Spinning, TRX (whole body), Karate, Pilates, Yoga, BAR, Zumba, Body Combat, Senior Stretch/Balance
6. Centennial Park Pavilion: USA Dance Ballroom Dancing, Swing, Cha Cha, Latin, Waltz, Kids Dancing, Sumba Line, Special Populations Dancing, MobileFlash Mob
7. Centennial Park West: Florida Dept. of Health in Lee County Sock Derby, Bubble Chasing, Bean Bag Toss, USCG Boot Camp, Disc Golf, Beach Volleyball,
8. Edison Sailing Center (located west of Centennial Park): Sailing, Paddleboarding
*Activities subject to change
6:30 a.m. Streets closures begin
8:30 a.m. Vendors and activity arrears in place
9 a.m. Kickoff parade from Fort Myers City Hall
9 a.m.-2 p.m. Activities continue throughout the event
2 p.m. Event ends, volunteer cleanup follows.
One or more public officials from the same government entity may in attendance for the kickoff parade.