With the Fourth of July being a holiday when many people spend time at the beach and pool, TripAdvisor announces the results of its beach and pool etiquette survey.
With more than 1,100 U.S. respondents, 74% feel that beach and pool goers violate some form of etiquette. I've attached the press release and survey results for your review, but below are the some highlights:
The worst beach and pool etiquette violators are:
1. New Yorkers
2. New Jersey residents
Miami Beach, Florida, was identified as the U.S. beach with the worst behaved beachgoers.
Beach fashion faux-pas
· 34% consider it an etiquette violation for men to wear speedos.
· 25% think that skimpy bikinis are a no-no for women.
· 78% think it's okay for women to go topless at the beach or pool, in destinations where it's culturally acceptable - while a further 6% think it's acceptable, regardless of the destination.
Worst beach behavior
1. Blasting loud Music
2. Public intoxication
Most annoying pool manners
1. Blasting loud music
2. Beach chair hogging
Other interesting results:
· 85% consider it unacceptable to reserve chairs by getting up early and leaving one's possessions on them
· 79% consider it unacceptable for a stranger to request assistance with applying suntan lotion
· At a crowded beach, 28% consider six feet to be the closest acceptable distance to sit next to another stranger