Published: Aug 23, 2014 5:29 AM EDT
Updated: Aug 23, 2014 11:52 PM EDT

WASHINGTON- A senior White House official is raising the possibility of a broader American military campaign that targets an Islamic extremist group's bases in Syria.
 
President Barack Obama's deputy national security adviser, Ben Rhodes, says the U.S is prepared to take whatever action is necessary to protect national security.
 
Rhodes tells reporters, in his words, "We're not going to be restricted by borders."
 
The White House says the president has received no military options beyond those he authorized earlier this month for limited airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Iraq and military aid to Iraqi and Kurdish forces.

Thus far, the United States has avoided military involvement in Syria's three-year civil war. But faced with the Islamic State making gains across the region and the beheading an American journalist, the administration's resistance may be weakening.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)