|Published:||Jan 06, 2014 5:27 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 06, 2014 5:27 AM EST|
ATLANTA (AP) - A man who pleaded guilty to slapping a crying toddler on a flight is due in federal court for sentencing.
Joe Rickey Hundley pleaded guilty in October after reaching a plea agreement with federal prosecutors. His sentencing is set for Monday morning.
Prosecutors say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy, who's black, and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport last February.
The misdemeanor simple assault charge carries a possible prison sentence of up to a year and a fine of up to $100,000. Prosecutors have recommended six months in prison, but Hundley reserved his right to argue for a lower sentence.
The judge isn't required to follow the recommendations in the plea agreement.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man with stolen passport on missing airline is asylum seeker
- NY college students charged after dog's beer photo
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal