GUIUAN, Philippines (AP) - The number of human lives lost to Typhoon Haiyan (HY'-ahn) in the central Philippines is becoming clearer.
The Philippines' main disaster agency says the death toll now stands at 3,633 with another 1,179 people listed as missing. Nearly 12,500 people were injured. Most of the casualties occurred on Leyte (LAY'-tay) and Samar islands.
One week after Typhoon Haiyan (HY'-ahn) razed the eastern part of the Philippines, leaving 600,000 homeless, survivors have begun rebuilding, with or without help from their government or foreign aid groups. People swept dirt from the pews of a church in the disaster zone Friday, while the buzzing of chain saws reverberated in the streets and piles of debris were burned.
Meanwhile, the international aid effort is gathering steam, highlighted by the helicopter drops conducted from the American aircraft carrier USS George Washington.
The U.N.'s top humanitarian official says more than 107,000 people have received food assistance so far and 11 foreign and 22 domestic medical teams are in operation.