|Published:||Oct 21, 2013 11:15 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 21, 2013 4:54 PM EDT|
SPARKS, Nev. (AP) - Family members have identified a math teacher as the staff member who was killed while trying to stop a shooter at a northern Nevada middle school.
Chanda Landsberry says her 45-year-old brother-in-law, Michael Landsberry, died in the Monday morning shooting at Sparks Middle School.
The suspected gunman is a student who has died. Two other boys were injured.
Students from the middle school and an elementary school next door were evacuated to a nearby high school, and classes were canceled.
Chanda Landsberry says she's not surprised at all that her brother-in-law stepped in to stop the rampage.
Michael Landsberry is a military veteran who leaves behind a wife and two stepdaughters.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Invasive cockroach found in NYC can take the cold
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- '127 Hours' figure arrested on assault charges
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers
- Senate Dems push Obama nominees, GOP bides time
- Ex-San Diego mayor to be sentenced for harassment