|Published:||Sep 16, 2013 3:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 16, 2013 3:29 PM EDT|
MOSCOW (AP) - A prominent member of Russia's parliament has exploited the deadly shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington to ridicule the United States.
Alexei Pushkov, who heads the international affairs committee, tweeted Monday that "nobody's even surprised anymore" by such an attack, which he called "a clear confirmation of American exceptionalism."
Pushkov, who also hosts a political talk show, serves as a mouthpiece for the Kremlin's most anti-American faction.
In an opinion piece published last week in The New York Times, Russian President Vladimir Putin criticized America for seeing itself as exceptional. He was referring to a speech by President Barack Obama in which he said America's ideals and principles made it want to hold the Syrian government accountable for a chemical weapons attack and, "That's what makes us exceptional."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- GM names Mary Barra CEO, 1st woman to head car co.
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions
- DiGiorno, supplier drop dairy farm over abuse
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,153
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden boosts mental health