|Published:||Aug 21, 2013 7:40 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 21, 2013 11:26 AM EDT|
BRUSSELS (AP) - European Union foreign ministers are "strongly condemning" the recent violence in Egypt but stopping short of halting aid programs for fear of hitting ordinary citizens.
The 28-nation bloc's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said Wednesday the EU is calling on all sides to go back to the negotiating table to avoid further bloodshed.
She says all EU states agreed to suspend export licenses for weapons or goods that could be used for internal repression. She says they will also review their aid programs.
Ashton says the ministers strongly condemned the disproportionate use of force by the Egyptian security forces but also violence by some of those opposed to the authorities.
Clashes between Egyptian security forces and supporters of deposed President Mohammed Morsi have killed hundreds of people since last week.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- More snow forecast for DC area and Appalachians
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- NTSB hearing on SF airliner crash postponed
- Obama in South Africa for Mandela memorial service
- Race against clock, cold in search for Nevadans
- Democrats using new power to tilt appeals court
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden to boost mental health