|Published:||Aug 17, 2013 9:13 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2013 9:13 AM EDT|
CAIRO (AP) - The spokesman of the Egyptian Cabinet says authorities are considering disbanding the Muslim Brotherhood group.
Spokesman Sherif Shawki said Saturday that Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi assigned Ministry of Social Solidarity to study the legal possibilities of dissolving the group. He didn't elaborate.
The Muslim Brotherhood group, founded in 1928, came to power a year ago when its leader Mohammed Morsi was elected in the country's first free presidential elections. The election came after the overthrow of longtime autocratic president Hosni Mubarak.
Morsi was overthrown in a popularly backed military coup July 3.
The Brotherhood rocketed to power after decades of being a banned group in Egypt. While sometimes tolerated, its leaders often faced long bouts of imprisonment.
An Egyptian government spokesman says the death toll in Friday's clashes has risen to 173 nationwide.
Shereef Shawki said Saturday that 1,330 people were injured in the fighting.
The Muslim Brotherhood took to the streets Friday in a "Day of Rage" - ignited by anger at security forces over clearing two sit-in camps earlier in the week, leaving hundreds dead. Those sit-in demonstrations were filled with supporters of President Mohammed Morsi, who was ousted in a coup July 3.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Morsi supporters remained at the al-Fatah mosque in Cairo on Saturday morning after barricading themselves inside overnight. A Muslim cleric there said there were ongoing negotiations with the military to have protesters safely leave.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)