|Published:||Jul 30, 2013 4:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 30, 2013 4:06 PM EDT|
WEST NEW YORK, N.J. (AP) - Authorities in northern New Jersey say a baby has died in a freak accident involving a shuttle bus.
The Hudson County Sheriff's Office tells The Jersey Journal (http://bit.ly/14gtcIL ) the bus went out of control Tuesday afternoon in the town of West New York and struck a lamppost, which fell onto a stroller. Sheriff Frank Schillari says the victim was 8 months old.
The bus was operated by Sphinx Transportation, which provides shuttle service between New Jersey and New York. West New York is situated just across the Hudson River from Manhattan.
Sphinx tells The Associated Press it has no idea what happened and that the driver has been hospitalized.
The Jersey Journal reports the infant's mother was not injured.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead
- Milan orders removal of naughty Christmas tree
- Catholic school fires gay teacher, drawing protest
- Thousands queue to see Mandela's body on last day
- Budget Deal Heads to Senate
- House GOP conservatives help propel budget bill
- Judges to hear arguments in Blagojevich appeal
- Man arrested in car bomb plot at Kan. airport