|Published:||Jun 28, 2013 11:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 28, 2013 11:51 PM EDT|
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A California woman who cut off her husband's penis and threw it in a garage disposal has been sentenced to life in prison with possibility of parole.
The Orange County district attorney's office says Catherine Kieu was sentenced Friday for a July 2011 attack that mutilated her estranged spouse. Kieu, who's 50, can seek parole in seven years.
The Garden Grove woman was convicted of torture and aggravated mayhem.
Prosecutors said Kieu drugged her husband's tofu with sleeping pills and screamed "You deserve it!" before attacking him with a 10-inch kitchen knife.
Her lawyer argued that she had mental health problems stemming from childhood molestation and sexual abuse by her husband.
In an impact statement during sentencing, the victim said he's been deprived of part of his life and identity.
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- More snow forecast for DC area and Appalachians
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- NTSB hearing on SF airliner crash postponed
- Obama in South Africa for Mandela memorial service
- Race against clock, cold in search for Nevadans
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Democrats using new power to tilt appeals court
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden to boost mental health