|Published:||Jun 10, 2013 11:07 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 10, 2013 11:07 AM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Former NFL star Chad Johnson will serve 30 days in jail after violating probation in a domestic violence case involving his then-wife, TV reality star Evelyn Lozada.
A plea deal that called for no jail time fell apart Monday. Broward Judge Kathleen McHugh rejected it after Johnson playfully slapped his attorney on the behind in court. McHugh says Johnson wasn't taking things seriously enough, even after he apologized. McHugh also extended Johnson's probation for three months.
The 35-year-old formerly known as Chad Ochocinco pleaded no contest to head-butting Lozada during an argument in August. The "Basketball Wives" star immediately filed for divorce after barely a month of marriage.
Johnson was subsequently released by the Miami Dolphins. He previously played for the Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Invasive cockroach found in NYC can take the cold
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- '127 Hours' figure arrested on assault charges
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Senators: Put cameras on train tracks, engineers
- Senate Dems push Obama nominees, GOP bides time
- Ex-San Diego mayor to be sentenced for harassment
- Study: Erratic TV violence ratings fail parents
- Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms