|Published:||May 23, 2013 10:47 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 23, 2013 10:47 PM EDT|
Officials say one construction worker has died and another has suffered serious injuries in the partial collapse of a parking garage at a shopping mall outside Washington, D.C.
Rescuers in Montgomery County, Md., worked to stabilize the structure to free the surviving worker for more than four hours on Thursday. Officials say it appears a 50,000-pound section of the parking deck collapsed outside a Macy's store.
A Fire Department spokeswoman says the worker was freed about 6 p.m. EDT.
Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham says rescuers confirmed there are no other people inside the structure.
The parking deck was under construction during the collapse and was not open to the public.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal