|Published:||Apr 10, 2013 8:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 10, 2013 9:39 PM EDT|
SUWANEE, Ga. (AP) - Authorities say a gunman holding four firefighters in suburban Atlanta has been shot dead by SWAT members and that all the hostages are slightly injured but should be OK.
Gwinnett County Police Cpl. Edwin Ritter said Wednesday evening that a SWAT officer has been shot in the hand.
Minutes before the police announcement, one big explosion followed by several smaller ones or gunshots were heard in the Suwanee neighborhood about 35 miles northeast of Atlanta.
Police and fire officials say five firefighters responded to what seemed like a routine medical call in Suwanee and were eventually taken hostage by an unidentified suspect inside the house. They say one was let go to move the fire truck.
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- Flight diverted with landing gear light on
- '127 Hours' figure arrested on assault charges
- Government sells remaining stake in GM
- Ex-San Diego mayor to be sentenced for harassment
- Attorney confirms Wis. snuggle business has closed
- Jury selected in Montana newlywed killing case
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban for decade