|Published:||Apr 09, 2013 10:56 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 09, 2013 10:56 PM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - Even White House chefs could be feeling the pain of government budget cuts.
Assistant chef Sam Kass, who cooks dinner for President Barack Obama several nights a week, said Tuesday that he will be furloughed as part of across-the-board budget cuts that went into effect in March. Kass, who is the president's senior nutrition policy adviser, made the comments in an interview with food reporters at the White House.
The White House has said 480 workers on the budget staff may have to take days without pay but hasn't said whether notices have gone out to other Obama aides.
Kass also plants the White House garden and is the director of first lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign to combat childhood obesity. He said that effort won't be affected.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Obama opens health plan sales campaign
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- Mandela putting up 'courageous fight'
- Lawyer: NY Engineer had 'daze' before train crash
- Newtown to release 911 calls from school shooting
- Ex-EMS from devastated Texas town faces sentencing
- LA airport shooting suspect to appear in court