|Published:||Feb 23, 2013 10:17 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 23, 2013 10:32 AM EST|
UPDATE: CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Police in Mass. say after search that reports of gunman on MIT campus are unfounded.
BOSTON (AP) - The Massachusetts Institute of Technology says a man carrying a long rifle and wearing body armor was spotted in a campus building, and the school is on lockdown.
MIT said in a statement Saturday that several law enforcement agencies have responded, and a photo that appears to have been tweeted from near campus shows a road blocked to traffic.
The school advises students and workers to stay indoors and report suspicious activity to campus police.
More details were not immediately available.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Suspects in Soldier Killing Par of Prior Investigation
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims
- Man shot by FBI had spoken with bombing suspect