WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate has confirmed Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry as the next secretary of state.
The vote was 94-3. Once sworn-in, Kerry will replace Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is stepping down after four years.
The vote came just hours after the Foreign Relations Committee approved his nomination by voice vote. Kerry has led the committee for the past four years.
The 69-year-old Kerry is a decorated Vietnam veteran and the 2004 Democratic presidential candidate.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Ex-Pa. officer once hailed as hero faces charges
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup
- FBI Agents Killed
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- Lawsuit in Ohio cancer cluster will take years