|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 6:07 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 6:07 PM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - The administrator of a settlement between BP and oil spill claimants says more than 34,000 Florida businesses and individuals so far have been deemed eligible for $332 million.
Patrick Juneau, though, believes many more people and businesses may qualify.
Juneau is in Tallahassee to meet with state officials and spread the word about the settlement. He appeared before a Senate committee Tuesday and will visit with Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet on Wednesday.
Juneau said $245 million so far has been paid to business and individuals designated for payment in Florida. The total paid to date for all five Gulf Coast states is $1.3 billion out of $1.7 billion designated for payment.
The settlement covers damages caused by the blowout of BP's Macondo well off Louisiana in 2010.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla. twister
- Josh Powell had affair before wife vanished
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- CBS pulls comedy season-ender because of tornado
- Committee nears final big immigration decisions
- Thousands march in NY to protest gay man's killing
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma