|Published:||Jan 17, 2013 11:57 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 17, 2013 11:57 PM EST|
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Toyota Motor Corp. says it has settled what was to be the first of hundreds of lawsuits claiming that deaths and injuries were caused by problems of sudden, unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles.
A Toyota spokeswoman said Thursday that the company reached the agreement in the wrongful death case brought by the family of Paul Van Alfen and Charlene Jones Lloyd. They were killed when their Toyota Camry slammed into a wall in Utah in 2010. The spokeswoman would not disclose the financial terms.
Last month, Toyota agreed to a settlement worth more than $1 billion to resolve hundreds of lawsuits claiming economic losses suffered by Toyota owners, but hundreds more lawsuits over deaths and injuries remained.
The Van Alfen case was to be the first of those tried, and to serve as a bellwether for the rest.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Communications satellite launched into space
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch