|Published:||Jan 12, 2013 11:25 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 12, 2013 11:25 PM EST|
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A 23-year-old contestant from Brooklyn, N.Y., has won the title of Miss America.
Mallory Hagan won the Las Vegas beauty pageant Saturday night after tap dancing to James Brown's "Get Up Off of That Thing" and answering a question about whether armed guards belong in grade schools by saying we should not fight violence with violence.
Hagan defeated Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers, who took second, and Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton, who finished third.
Hagan wins a $50,000 college scholarship and gets the crown for one year. Her platform was stopping child sexual abuse.
She is expected to spend her title reign on a nationwide speaking tour and raising money for the Children's Miracle Network, the organization's official charity.
- Rep. Trey Radel says he will not resign from Congress
- Rep. Trey Radel speaks publicly on arrest, rehab and future
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Same-sex marriage ruled legal by NM's high court
- La. gov. critical of A&E over Robertson 'hiatus'
- India demands that US drop case against diplomat
- In diverse US, Santa Claus has many faces, races
- London theater balcony believed to have collapsed
- Senate to vote on Yellen for Fed chair in January