|Published:||Dec 13, 2012 11:54 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 13, 2012 11:54 AM EST|
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Police in Alabama say an employee is dead after shooting himself inside a federal courthouse.
Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams says an unidentified worker pulled out a weapon and shot himself once in the head about 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
No one else was harmed and Williams says there wasn't a threat to anyone else in the building.
Williams says the shooting happened in a first-floor clerk's office. He says the man apparently was able to get the weapon inside because he worked in the building. Visitors are normally required to go through metal detectors.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Washington officials look for temporary replacement bridge
- Judge: Arizona sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- High-water rescues reported in San Antonio area
- Thousands walk, run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay