FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Two Pakistani-born brothers charged in an alleged terrorist conspiracy have pleaded not guilty during an arraignment in South Florida federal court.
The men arrested last week are 30-year-old Sheheryar Alam Qazi and 20-year-old Raees Alam Qazi, both of Oakland Park. They are accused of conspiring to provide material support to terrorists and of attempting to obtain a weapon of mass destruction for use within the U.S. They will continue to be held without bail.
Family members have stressed the brothers are innocent.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys declined comment after Friday's hearing. Few specifics were contained in a grand jury indictment and it's not clear how far along any plot was.
Officials have said the investigation is continuing.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Split-second choice ended with NY student dead
- Miss. probationer caught in central Florida
- Fla. woman charged with Haitian visa fraud
- S. Korea: N. Korea fires 5th projectile into waters
- Senate committee moves toward vote on immigration
- Arias lawyers again ask to withdraw; judge says no
- Official: 2nd person killed by Oklahoma tornado