|Published:||Dec 06, 2012 11:13 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 06, 2012 11:13 PM EST|
EVANSDALE, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say they're "confident" bodies found in an isolated wildlife area are those of two young Iowa cousins who disappeared while riding their bikes last summer.
Black Hawk County sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben said that's based on evidence at the scene and the preliminary investigation. However, autopsies are still pending.
Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins vanished while riding bikes in Evansdale in July. Elizabeth was 8 and Lyric was 10.
Hunters found the bodies Wednesday in a rural park about 25 miles away.
Local and state police and the FBI joined in a massive search that continued for months after the girls disappeared. No one has been charged in the case.
Evansdale is about 90 miles northeast of Des Moines.
- Flight diverted with landing gear light on
- Officials: 1 dead, 2 missing from migrants' raft
- Elian Gonzalez makes 1st trip abroad since 2000
- Government sells remaining stake in GM
- Jury selected in Montana newlywed killing case
- Attorney confirms Wis. snuggle business has closed
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban for decade
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine