|Published:||Dec 05, 2012 5:56 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 05, 2012 10:48 PM EST|
EVANSDALE, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say hunters have found bodies believed to be two young Iowa cousins who disappeared while riding their bikes in July.
Black Hawk County sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben says two bodies were found Wednesday in a wooded area, though he wouldn't say where.
He says the families of the cousins, 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins and 11-year-old Lyric Cook, were told of the discovery and are asking for privacy.
Abben appeared to fight back tears, saying "it's definitely not the outcome that we wanted."
Abben says the bodies are being sent to the state medical examiner's office for identification.
The girls vanished July 13 near Meyers Lake in Evansdale in northeast Iowa. Their bikes were found near the lake.
Dozens of people attended a lakeside vigil for the girls Wednesday night.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors
- 3 dozen firefighters rescue Seattle horse stuck in the mud
- Company recalls 23,000 lbs of ground beef
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexico's southeastern coast
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends
- Tropical depression heads toward Mexican coast
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- Bipartisan proposal on student loans circulating
- Protesters out again in Brazilian cities
- James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51.