|Published:||Dec 05, 2012 11:27 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 05, 2012 11:27 AM EST|
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The mother of Kansas City linebacker Jovan Belcher, who fatally shot his 22-year-old girlfriend before killing himself at Arrowhead Stadium, says the days since the shooting have been very difficult but that she loves her son and the slain girlfriend.
Cheryl Shepherd told The Associated Press Wednesday that she had a "beautiful relationship" with Kasandra Perkins, whom Belcher shot Saturday at the home they shared in Kansas City with their 3-month-old daughter Zoey. Shepherd had been staying with the couple to help with the baby and made the emergency call when Perkins was shot.
Shepherd said in a brief telephone conversation that she has been working on funeral arrangements for her son, but hasn't been sleeping or eating much since the shootings. She says her baby granddaughter is doing "fine."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- President Obama's memorial speech for Nelson Mandela
- Texas woman to admit to sending ricin to Obama
- More snow forecast for DC area and Appalachians
- NTSB hearing on SF airliner crash postponed
- Obama in South Africa for Mandela memorial service
- Race against clock, cold in search for Nevadans
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Democrats using new power to tilt appeals court
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- US skeptical NKorea moves will ease nuke tensions