|Published:||Nov 07, 2012 11:59 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 07, 2012 5:20 PM EST|
SAN MARCOS, Guatemala (AP) - Guatemala's president says he has been informed that the death toll in a 7.4-magnitude earthquake that struck off the Pacific coast has risen to 39 people.
President Otto Perez Molina says the dead are in the northwestern state of San Marcos near the Mexican border, where the majority of the damage occurred.
He spoke to a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stowaway from Jamaica found on ship in Tampa
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- DiGiorno, supplier drop dairy farm over abuse
- GM names Mary Barra CEO, 1st woman to head car co.
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,153
- Kerry, Congress spar over Iran nuclear deal
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden boosts mental health