|Published:||Nov 07, 2012 11:59 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 07, 2012 5:20 PM EST|
SAN MARCOS, Guatemala (AP) - Guatemala's president says he has been informed that the death toll in a 7.4-magnitude earthquake that struck off the Pacific coast has risen to 39 people.
President Otto Perez Molina says the dead are in the northwestern state of San Marcos near the Mexican border, where the majority of the damage occurred.
He spoke to a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NY college students charged after dog's beer photo
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Europe wants its Parmesan back, seeks name change
- Muslim group: 3 Russians unlawfully kept out of US
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Skydiving association: 1st-time jumpers must be 18
- Steady health care sign-ups may miss goal